Wednesday, July 22, 2009

I heart podcasts.

I podcast KCRW's Good Food now. It's hard for me to keep up weekly, but I listen to, oh, four in a row when I'm spending Saturday cleaning the apt. One of the more recent ones I heard (which means it could've been from July or February...) had the greatest three words I have ever heard in the history of cooking: triple blanched garlic! Hopefully I'm not way behind on the times and this is something everyone is already doing, but what a fantastically fantastic idea! I hate mincing garlic and getting my fingers all garlicky sticky, I'm usually so impatient I burn it, and who wants to wait an hour to roast those suckers in the oven? All you gotta do is triple blanch it and the "harshness gets leeched out". Brilliant.

These lovely three words inspired a dinner, which I then replicated for a stay-at-home lunch. (God bless proposal writing). I triple blanched the garlic and just threw it under the broiler for good measure as my tomatoes got a nice char, but maybe that step was unnecessary. Then mashed it lovingly with a fork and added a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Loved it so much that I replicated it for a supper club meal. Photos to come.


Herbed chicken breast (at home I used italian seasonings mix, at Tyson's I used some of his roommate's Herb de provence which he brought home from Paris)-- seared on high high heat for 2 min per side, then finished off in a 325 oven for about 15 min, rested on the cutting board for another few min before slicing

And the piece de resistance: rustic roasted tomatoes and mashed garlic. It's so yummy you'll want to marry it. I sliced a variety of tomatoes (cherry, grape, heirloom, some from TJ's, some from fmrs' mkt, some from Kami's yard) and stuck them under the broiler for about 10 min. Drained excess liquid. Added the smashed garlic with extra virgin olive oil. Dash of salt and a chiffonade of basil for color.

1 comment:

  1. Good Food is the best. Do you get The Splendid Table as well?

    Good Food is to Splendid Table as This American Life is to Prairie Home Companion--GF is younger and hipper, but ST has a warm and engaging charm. Totally worth the download & then you can get a lil' more cleaning time!

    ReplyDelete