Wednesday, March 4, 2009

chicken saag yogurt something or other

I thought it would be fun to cook some Indian food. Tyson's downstairs neighbor is an amazing cook, so his apt oft smells like all sorts of yummy Indian flavors. So I thought I'd give it a whirl. (mind you, I know nothing about cooking Indian food)

Ingredients:
Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce
boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
frozen spinach, thawed and drained
greek gods plain nonfat greek yogurt

So I threw it all together (you know, browned the chicken first in a bit of grapeseed oil, simmered in the sauce and spinach, and then added the yogurt at the end). The yogurt tartness was way overpowering (I was sort of just trying to get rid of it), so I mixed in some Stevia (my go to natural no calorie sweeter, a post in itself), some cayenne for heat, a dash of cumin for smokiness, and tumeric because, well, everything has tumeric in it. Not great, but better.

So there you go. My version of chicken saag yogurt something or other. I think in the future I would try a smaller dose of lowfat yogurt. Or even, gasp, full fat stuff. Other suggestions?

Oh yeah, served over TJ's Garlic Naan aka toasty heavenliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment