Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pink is the new orange.

So I've joined my wonderfully handsome diabetic boyfriend Tyson (like Top Chef's Sam!) in the "no sweets with added refined sugar" commitment, and so far it's been a solid 9 months. Yup, 9 months. A whole human gestation period. Well, almost a whole gestation period. I did work my way up to a "planned cheat" for Leah and Tony's wedding cake (hey, they were more excited about the cake than most of the other wedding things, so it was my duty to partake in its splendor). And there has been a taste here or there, justifiably to actually taste what different desserts taste like as I continue on my quest to cooking greatness.

But really, I have not eaten "sweets with added refined sugar" (mind you, it's a descriptive yet arbitrary rule) for quite some time now. And it has just become a way of eating. I've completely lost my craving for lots of sweets now, such as cookies, candy, and cake (yes, definitely cake, in fact I have somewhat of an aversion to seeing people eat cake). I do, however, have intense cravings for chocolate. Luckily they are satiated by fruit juice sweetened double chocolate cookies from Mrs. Fabes (avail. at Whole Foods for a pretty penny) and Mani's (avail. at both their Fairfax and Main St. locations for a pretty penny). And things like Carbolite from Bigg Chill and no sugar added Fudgesicles. But really, I'm not that into going broke at Mani's (and increasing my carbon footprint) or putting all that artificial crap into my body. And sugar-free chocolate is known to have a laxative effect. ew.

So here I am, during an afternoon lull in front of my computer. I saw Mell's away msg "resisting thin mints" (she has given up sugar for lent. and will eat dizzying amounts of sugar on day 41 if anyone would like to join her) and immediately had a craving for something sweet.

So I grabbed a Cara Cara orange from the fridge. I'd have to say, I'm not a fan. And it's a freakin' orange, so who says they're NOT a fan? But it's flavor was just so so, even though it was juicy, and that color is oddly off putting. Kind of like God threw a little red 40 dye into his naval orange cauldron just for kicks.

Did I just get a bad Cara Cara (ha, a lemon)?

No comments:

Post a Comment