Friday, July 3, 2009

You can definitely take this city girl out of the city... for this!

During my week hiatus here at Tyson's parents house in Grand Junction, Colorado, I've gotten the opportunity to prepare food in a way that just trumps my bidaily Trader Joe's runs. There is this gorgeous vegetable garden here, with tons of lettuces, swiss chard, kohlrabi, carrots, kale, heirloom tomatoes, cilantro, oregano, basil, mint... quite the orgasm of healthy eating, if you ask me.

It's tough to get internet time here, but I had to do a quick blog post with photos, since it's just marvelous!

Here's me in the garden with my awesome straw fedora and breezy summer dress, harvesting lettuces for a big 4th of July dinner in Beaver Creek with Tyson's extended family.

(Quick city girl story: first time I did this, Tyson's mom told me to pick some lettuce, I asked how, she gave me some scissors and a bag, I stared at her blankly, then she grabbed a bunch and snipped at the base, and I asked "oh, so you just cut it off?")

Here are the veggies of my labor (get it?? ha!).

The harvested lettuce being thoroughly rinsed in a sink of cold water. Makes you appreciate that lovely triple-washed bagged stuff that only costs $1.99. Though there is a sense of accomplishment here (and the freshness of just-picked, of course).

And a final whirl in the salad spinner.

Just had to show off my new engagement ring in this photo. There it is!

2 comments:

  1. ha ha ha! first of all, I'm impressed with you picking your salad. Hope you have a great time! and love the last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha veggies of your labor! I totally get it!

    ReplyDelete