Sunday, March 8, 2009

They're actually called "grape-nuts"



Tyson suggested that I post photos of my food. I remembered after eating half of this, but hopefully I will be less compulsive of an eater during my future food endeavors and actually photograph uneaten food.

So, I am perplexed at the whole grape-nut phenomenon (that's right, it's actually grape-nuts hypenated on the box, not grapenuts or grape nuts. new observation). According to wikipedia, they've been around since 1897 and neither have had grapes nor nuts as their ingredients. They're made mostly of wheat and barley flour and allegedly look like grape seeds.

But that's not what I'm perplexed about. I am perplexed at... why are they so freakin' good? Seriously, they taste like, well, healthiness personified. Like wheat flour and barley flour, followed by utter cardboard blandness if you let it just hang out on your tongue or by I guess a salty sort of nuttiness if you start to chew, and then again, there's that cardboard blandness. And they're only sort of healthy, in fact, low in its healthy:taste/texture ratio. I think that's it-- texture. I am absolutely enamored by its unparalleled, I-hope-my-dentist-aced-his-final-exams monster crunch. Nothing compares.

So for my afternoon snack today, I went straight for the grape-nuts. And I felt I had to somewhat justify eating grape-nuts, because what, am I going to just spoon it out of the box (yes, guilty)? Hence the Fage 0% Greek Yogurt, dash of stevia, sliced Gaviota strawberries from the Mar Vista Farmer's Market . Very satisfying. Now back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment