Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Trio of Chinese Dishes

After a lovely outing with Mom to Ranch 99 Market (Chinese supermarket extraordinaire), I decided to cook a lot of Chinese food. Tyson and I ate a spread for lunch, and the rest went into tupperware for later.

All dishes cooked stir-fry style: high heat, a dollop or two of grapeseed oil, and a big ol' saute pan to prevent overcrowding and steaming of ingredients. I didn't even use a spatula... just the good ol' pan flip. I know, I'm pro.



Chicken and Potato
Sliced red potatoes (par-boiled) tossed with soy sauce-soaked chicken strips, onion crescents, and sliced carrots. Finish with a dash of soy sauce.

Cashew Chicken
Same soy sauce-soaked chicken strips as above, sliced red bell peppers, chopped sugar snap peas, raw cashews, and some Black Bean Garlic Sauce. (cashews were on the soft side... any tips on how to crisp those up w/o deep frying?)

One of the only vegetarian Chinese dishes I know
Tofu sheets, pickled mustard greens, soybeans, and shitake mushrooms (reconstituted dried). Finish with a dash of soy sauce.

Brown rice
I read this prep method in a cooking magazine, and it worked really well! I couldn't really remember the exact measurements, and my oven only sets to 400, so I altered it a bit.

Measure out 1 1/2 cups brown rice in a pyrex. Add 2 1/3 cups of boiling water and a drizzle of oil. Cover tightly with foil and bake in the oven for ~50 min. (this way, you get cooked brown rice without the scorching at the bottom)

2 comments:

  1. I really wish I could! It's some thin, wrinkly, sheets of tofu packaged in some water (looks like regular tofu pkging but wider and flatter). You find it in the refrigerated section of Ranch 99, probably without any English words on it. Next time I buy one, I will post a photo. It's tasty and cheap!

    ReplyDelete